Malnutrition is the deficiency of nutrients in the body, caused by a poor diet or poor absorption by the body due to diseases or intestinal parasites.
When adopting dogs that have been abandoned, for example, it is very common to find malnourished and in poor health and, therefore, look for vitamins to fatten dogs .
In addition, tutors often give pets the correct rations and, even then, they cannot absorb the vitamins necessary for their immunity.
So, how to solve these problems? What is the fattening vitamin? How to fatten a dog that is malnourished? Read on and find out now!
Is it necessary to give vitamins for the dog to gain weight?
Also read: What is Good food for dog fur?
Before indicating a vitamin to fatten a dog, it is important to say that the dog does not always need supplementation to reach the ideal weight.
On the contrary, in most cases, if the dog is just thin, it is possible to make him fat with food alone.
After all, good quality dog food (Premium and Super Premium) contains all the vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats and carbohydrates that a dog needs.
Recommendations for proper nutrition
Buy the option indicated for your dog’s age, breed and size, according to the packaging or the veterinarian’s advice. It is also important to follow the recommendations for quantity and frequency during the day.
Over time, it is very likely that your dog will naturally reach the ideal weight.
How to know if your dog is malnourished?
First, it is interesting to say that some breeds are naturally thin and there is no need to change this physical composition. This is the case with Greyhounds, Whippets, Saluki and other running dogs.
If this is not the case with your dog, know that a malnourished dog will look extremely thin, with ribs and other bony structures very evident. He may also have symptoms such as:
- Vomiting and diarrhea;
- Loss of muscle mass;
- Apathy and always appearing tired;
- By dull and brittle;
- Areas of the body without hair and flaking.
Also read: Man Rescues Malnourished Husky Off The Street, Transforms Her Into Beautiful Dog
Take the dog to the vet
To be sure, it is important to take your dog to the vet . In the office and with the appropriate tests, it will be possible to know what is the lack of vitamins that your dog has so that it is possible to make the replacement.
It is important to say that vitamins are medicines and giving them without a real deficiency can result in an excess of nutrients in the body, which can lead to an overload of the animal’s organs (such as kidneys, livers and heart), in addition to others. Side effects.
Any supplementation, therefore, must be accompanied by a veterinarian.
Why is my dog underweight?
There are many reasons that can lead to malnutrition or low nutrition. If you see your dog eating less than usual, resisting the food, or having reactions like diarrhea and vomiting, consult your veterinarian. It is possible that your dog:
- You don’t like the food you give or you’re sick of the taste. It is also necessary to evaluate the quality of the feed, if it has the appropriate nutrients;
- Have a worm and, with that, urgent worming will be necessary;
- Have emotional problems, stress or depression;
- Have a related illness, as various health problems can lead to a lack of appetite.
What is the best vitamin for a dog to gain weight?
It will not be the vitamin that will make your dog fat. If he is underweight, it is necessary to follow the ideal steps to fatten a malnourished dog, which we will talk about in more detail below.
Along with the diet, the vet can indicate a vitamin supplementation to replace the deficiencies that your dog has. It is common, for example, to prescribe B vitamins, as they help stimulate appetite and nutrient metabolism.
How to fatten a malnourished dog?
Also read: Emaciated Puppy Found In Taped Cardboard Box With “Help Me” Written On It Outside Kentucky Shelter
According to the Brazilian Association of Pet Products Industry (Abinpet) , malnutrition in dogs can lead to rickets , a disease that can cause bone deformities and delayed growth of the body.
Therefore, when malnutrition is detected, the veterinarian will determine a plan for rehydration and replacement of the necessary nutrients, depending on the severity of the situation.
But to gain weight, it is not enough to increase the amount of food. You have to do this responsibly so as not to cause eating disorders.
What is the ideal regimen?
- In general, puppy food is recommended , as it contains the highest amount of calories and fat needed for treatment. However, it is important to do this gradually, so as not to favor the appearance of gastrointestinal diseases.
- It is also recommended to combine dry and wet food (pâté), to provide more water.
- As some malnourished pets have food rejection, it is important to give in small amounts, but more often than usual: about 4 times a day . Thus, the dog will be able to digest food more easily.
- Take him for exercise . As contradictory as it may seem, since physical activity burns calories, it will also stimulate appetite and increase muscle mass, essential for the development of the dog.
- If the dog is not enjoying the food, try gradually changing the food to another brand. You can also replace dry food with wet food or natural food , always with the amounts and ingredients indicated by the veterinarian.
Also read: Paralyzed And Malnourished Dog Kept Chained To A Tree Is Finally Rescued